Interior Remodel

If you have a home that you wish to remodel the interior of by more than just cosmetics, you must obtain a permit for the work. This includes: bathroom remodels, basement finishes, attic finishes and lofts, kitchen remodels, damage repairs etc.

Interior Remodel Requirements Checklist
Does not need to be submitted 

Click Here to Apply Online

Frequently Asked Questions

What work is exempt from needing a permit?
Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work

What are common projects that need an Interior Remodel Permit?
Changing gas appliances, basement finishes, attic finishes and lofts, converting a room into a bedroom, structural worketc.

Can I make an existing room into a bedroom/sleeping space, and do I need a permit?
Possibly, but you will need a permit to do so. First, you will need to contact the Environmental Health Department for verification on your On-site Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS). You will also need to make sure the proposed room meets the 2015 or newer IBC. If you choose to remodel a room into a bedroom, but then elect to not use it as a sleeping space, it is still considered a bedroom by Clear Creek County and you MUST have the additional bedroom permitted.  For clarification of bedroom regulation please call the Building Plans Examiner at (303) 679-2221.

I bought a home and the previous owners have an active permit for remodeling, can I remodel using that permit?
Yes, you can. You MUST transfer the permit into your name though. The permit is specific to the original applicant. To apply to transfer an active permit into your name as a new property owner, please fill out the application above to the best of your ability and submit. You do NOT need to submit the additional documents outlined in the Requirements Checklist. We will reach out to you for the transfer fee and then will send you a new copy of the permit in your name. Expiration dates do not renew with permit transfer but extensions can be requested.

I bought a home and the building permit for the residence has a Certificate of Occupancy, but the interior construction is not complete, do I need a permit to finish the interior?
Yes, you will need to apply for a Interior Remodel Permit to finish the work if there is no longer an active building permit on file. If there is an active building permit on file, you can transfer the permit from the previous owner to yourself and complete the work under the active permit. You can see if there are any active permits for the property here.

How do I get an electrical permit or inspection?
You can visit the Colorado Department of Regulatory Affairs (DORA) to apply for a permit and schedule an inspection. Clear Creek County does not permit or inspect electrical work and requires all permits and inspections to be performed by the State of Colorado. We are not able to apply for permits or schedule inspections on your behalf. 

Click Here to submit your application or supporting documents

  1. General Permit Questions

  2. Site Development

  3. Planning Department