Dec. 31, 2019 - Clear Creek County Communications, Colo. – County Planning Department Staff are reminding owners of short term rentals (unincorp. County) of the deadline to renew annual permits---no later than Jan. 31, 2020.
In May 2018, the Clear Creek Board of County Commissioners adopted regulations that govern the use and operation of short term rentals (aka vacation rentals) located on residential properties in the unincorporated areas of the County. The regulations include a permitting system in which short term rental owners must obtain an annual permit, and remit sales and lodging taxes. The permit is good for one (1) year and must be renewed each (calendar) year that the short term rental is in operation.
At this time, County Staff are in the process of directly notifying all short term rental owners of some deadlines that have been established:
- For all current permit holders, your permit expires Dec. 31, 2019, and you must renew your permit online for the 2020 calendar year no later than Jan. 31, 2020. If you do not renew by Jan. 31st, you will receive an enforcement warning letter in February with specific deadlines on when and how to renew. Enforcement procedures may include additional fines (up to $100 per day, per offense), and court costs.
- For all short term rental owners who have not yet applied for a permit, you will receive a notice in the mail shortly with instructions on how to apply for a permit online. Applying for the permit includes a one-time building safety inspection from the Building Department. Again, the deadline to apply is Jan. 31, 2020. All short term rental owners who have not applied by January 31st will receive an enforcement warning letter in February with specific deadlines on when and how to come into compliance before the County begins its enforcement procedure. If you have applied by the Jan. 31 deadline but have not completed the building safety inspection, you will not be subject to enforcement.
In order to help short term rental owners out with permitting, Planning Staff have scheduled open office hours on Tuesday, January 21, 2020 from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm where any person can come into the County Annex, at 1111 Rose Street in Georgetown to get one-on-one help in preparing and submitting the application online. Please bring the following items:
- A site plan with information including; lot size, location of property boundaries, location of residence, location of parking spaces (1 space per bedroom is required), location of garbage storage areas, location of snow storage areas, location of any proposed outdoor cooking/fire facilities
- Evidence of legal water supply or state-approved well permit
- Evidence of sewage disposal method
- Copy of State of Colorado sales tax license
- $250 permit fee
- $100 building inspection fee
All fees may be paid via cash, check or credit card.
The Planning Department’s webpage contains all relevant information on short term rental requirements, and a link to the permitting portal:
Contact Cyndie Ruschmyer in the Planning Department at 303-679-2430, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org