Construction Permits

Steps to Obtaining a Permit to Install, Repair, Replace or Upgrade an Onsite Water Treatment System (OWTS):

All OWTS work (installations, repairs, and upgrades) must be performed under an issued permit. The following steps are the best way to go about obtaining an OWTS permit in a timely fashion: 

(1) Step 1: Retain an engineer to design the system installation, repair or upgrade. A list of current design engineers is available. The engineer will design your system based on what will be best for your needs and what the property will allow while ensuring your system will be in compliance will all applicable regulations.

(2) Step 2: After receiving a design, you will need to retain a Clear Creek County Licensed Systems Contractor (PDF) who will be responsible for the work outlined in the engineering and permit. If you are interested in installing your own system, you may do so, however, you will need to become licensed for your project. For more information on Clear Creek County Licensed Systems Contractors, or how to become licensed, please email Environmental Health or call at 303-679-2428.

(3) Step 3: Apply for your permit. A full and complete On-site Wastewater Treatment System Application Packet must be submitted, with payment before the review of your submittal can begin. Applications can be submitted online, and fees can be collected over the phone. You may also walk in or mail in your application submittals to:

Clear Creek County Environmental Health
1111 Rose Street
P.O. Box 2000
Georgetown, CO 80444

(3) Once all applicable forms and fees are submitted, the permit review process can begin. It takes an average of 2 to 3 weeks for preliminary review, and site evaluation inspection. Please keep in mind that this may be longer or shorter depending on the scope of your project, and any needed changes.

(4) After the permit has been issued, construction may begin. A system may not be placed into use until after the permit has been finalized and approved for use by the Clear Creek Environmental Health Department. A permit is valid for 1 year and can be renewed for one additional year for a fee.

What Type of Permit Do I Need: Major Construction Permit ($1023) 
This permit is for any system where 2 or more major components are being installed, changed, altered, added or replaced.

Minor Construction Permit ($600)
This permit is for any system where ONLY 1 component is being changed, altered, added or replaced.

Self-Contained Toilet ($130) 
This permit is for composting, chemical, or incinerating toilets that are completely self-contained and do not require any construction.