Clear Creek County Animal Shelter
Charlie's Place, the Clear Creek/Gilpin County Animal Shelter, serves the residents of Clear Creek and Gilpin counties. The shelter provides nourishment and a safe environment for abandoned, homeless, stray, and impounded dogs and cats.
The shelter offers the public surrender and adoption services, microchipping, and spay/neuter vouchers for dogs and cats, and dog licenses. In addition, the shelter offers the public monthly low-cost vaccination clinics for dogs and cats. The shelter staff are dedicated to educating the public about responsible pet ownership and are committed to finding loving, appropriate homes for adoptable shelter animals.
Why is the Shelter Called "Charlie's Place"?
Helen L. Buck had a love of nature and all of its creatures since she was a child. Helen married Ray Buck Jr. in 1950. Over their years together, Helen and Ray were guardians to 11 German Shepherd Dogs. Together she and Ray cared for dogs, cats, horses and an array of wildlife. After Ray's death, Helen adopted Charlie, an ex-show dog, as a 5-year-old. Charlie and Helen shared an incredible bond. Helen owned the Blue Ridge Mill Site, one of the only flat pieces of land in the area. In 2003, when Helen heard that the county was looking to build a new animal shelter, she generously donated the land in an effort to give back to the animals that had given her immense joy in life. The land was donated in memory of Charlie, her much loved and loyal friend. Helen's vision for Charlie's Place is to be
a safe haven for any and all animals…a no kill-facility to any animals in need of sanctuary.